Kuala Lumpur tertiary institutions number more than tertiary institutions in any other state in Malaysia. As an overview, Kuala Lumpur (KL) was the seat of the federal government before the seat was moved to Putrajaya.
However, Kuala Lumpur city still maintains its importance as a federal territory, the most populous city in Malaysia, legislative function of government and abode of the Malaysian king.
KL lies within the state of Selangor in the west coast of Peninsular Malaysia. The city has a population of about one million seven hundred thousand people within an area of two hundred and forty three square kilometers (Department of Statistics Malaysia 2011, Kuala Lumpur City Hall 2011).
In addition to its popularity, many outstanding tertiary institutions are located in the city. Its tertiary institutions are listed below.
Kuala Lumpur tertiary institutions
1. Advance Tertiary College (campuses in Kuala Lumpur and Penang)
2. Asia-Europe Institute, University of Malaya
3. Asia Pacific Institute of Information Technology (APIIT)
4. Asia Pacific University College of Technology and Innovation (UCTI)
5. BRICKFIELDS Asia College
6. Cybernatics International College of Technology
7. Edexcel International
8. FMM Institute (campuses in Perak, Negeri Sembilan, Kuala Lumpur, Sarawak, Malacca and Johor)
9. FTMS College (campuses in Kuala Lumpur and Sarawak)
10. Geomatika College of Technology
11. Greencity International College
12. HELP University College (other campuses in Selangor state)
13. International College of Music (ICOM)
14. Institute Megatech
15. Institute Mentari
16. International Islamic University (IIUM)
17. Kasturi College International
18. Kolej Bandar
19. Kolej Gemilang
20. Kolej UNIKOP (campuses in Sabah and Sarawak)
21. Kuala Lumpur Metropolitan University College
22. Legend International College of Hospitality and Tourism
23. Limkokwing University of Creative Technology (campuses in Selangor, Sarawak and Kuala Lumpur)
24. MAHSA University College
25. Malaysia-France University Centre (MFUC)
26. Malaysia Institute of Arts (MIA)
27. Malaysian Institute of Management
28. Mantissa College
29. Masterskill University College (campuses in Kedah, Selangor, Johor, Kelantan, Perak, Kuala Lumpur, Sarawak and Sabah)
30. Methodist College Kuala Lumpur
31. Metro Prima International College
32. Nirwana College
33. Olympia College (campuses in Selangor, Perak, Johor, Penang and Pahang)
34. Open University of Malaysia (campuses in Selangor, Bangi, Kedah, Perlis, Penang, Perak, Negeri Sembilan, Malacca, Johor, Kalantan, Terengganu, Pahang, Sabah and Sarawak)
35. President College
36. Raffles College of Higher Education
37. Reliance College (campuses in Penang, Johor and Kuala Lumpur)
38. RIMA College (campuses in Johor, Penang and Kuala Lumpur)
39. SEGI University College (campuses in Kota Damansara, Subang Jaya, Penang, Sarawak, Kuala Lumpur and Seri Kambangan)
40. Stanford University College
41. Taylor’s University (campuses in Penang, Pahang, Sabah, Sarawak, Johor and Selangor)
42. Travex International College
43. Technology Park Malaysia College
44. Tunku Abdul Rahman College
45. UCSI University (campuses in Kuala Lumpur, Trengganu and Sarawak)
46. University Kuala Lumpur
47. Universiti Tun Abdul Razak (UNITAR)
48. University of Malaya
49. Victoria International College (campuses in Rawang)
If you are interested in gaining admissions into any of these universities and colleges, take advantage of our free service.
Kuala Lumpur Administrative structure
Kuala Lumpur is administered by the Kuala Lumpur City Hall which is an agency under the Ministry of Federal Territories and Urban Wellbeing.
The Mayor of Kuala Lumpur heads the City Hall and works with other senior management members to administer the city.
This agency functions by carrying out activities such as maintaining the health, transportation, sanitation, drainage and beautification of the city through its various specialized departments and units (Kuala Lumpur City Hall 2011).
Kuala Lumpur tertiary institutions are regulated by the Malaysian Department of Higher Education that ensure industry best practices are upheld.
Department of Statistics 2011, Basic population characteristics by administration districts, Department of statistics, Malaysia.
Kuala Lumpur City Hall 2011, About KL city hall, Kuala Lumpur City Hall, Malaysia.
Have you made up your mind on your favorite institutions? Begin the admission process here.