Before enumerating Selangor tertiary institutions, consider an overview of state. Selangor is the most prosperous and developed state in Malaysia with most of the tertiary institutions in Malaysia located within its borders.
Selangor is situated centrally in Peninsular Malaysia with its capital at Shah Alam. The state is also known by its honorific description of ‘Darul Ehsan’ meaning ‘Abode of Sincerity’. It is not unusual to observe the state described as ‘Selangor Darul Ehsan’.
Border States to Selangor are Perak to the north, Negeri Sembilan to the south, Pahang to the east and Straits of Melaka to the west.
Selangor has a population of a little over five million one hundred thousand people within an area a little over eight thousand one hundred square kilometers (Department of Statistics Malaysia 2011, Selangor State Government 2011).
In addition to its flourishing urban life, Selangor tertiary institutions are listed below.
Selangor tertiary institutions
1. Binary University (Kuala Lumpur and Selangor)
2. Cosmopoint International College of Technology (Selangor, Negeri Sembilan, Perak, Kedah, Pahang, Johor, Sabah, Kelantan, Melaka, Penang, Sarawak and Terengganu)
3. DIKA College
4. ELS language center (campuses in Subang Jaya, Penang, Johor, Kuala Lumpur and Petalling Jaya)
5. German-Malaysian Institute
6. HELP University (other campuses in Selangor state)
7. IACT College (Institute advertising communication training)
8. INTI International University (campuses in Subang, Penang, Sarawak and Sabah)
9. I-Systems Group of Colleges (campuses in Kedah, Penang, Johor, Selangor, Kuala Lumpur and Sarawak)
10. KBU International College
11. KDU University college (campuses in Selangor and Penang)
12. Kolej Excel
13. Kolej Universiti Islam Antarabangsa (KUIS)
14. Kolej WIT (campuses in Selangor and Perak)
15. Kuala Lumpur Infrastructure University College
16. Limkokwing University of Creative Technology (campuses in Selangor, Sarawak and Kuala Lumpur)
17. Lincoln College
18. Malaysia University of Science and Technology (MUST)
19. Management and Science University (MSU)
20. Masterskill University College (campuses in Kedah, Selangor, Johor, Kelantan, Perak, Kuala Lumpur, Sarawak and Sabah)
21. Monash University Malaysia
22. Multimedia University (campuses in Selangor and Melaka)
23. NCC Education
24. New Era College
25. Olympia college (campuses in Johor Bahru, Kuala Lumpur, Petalling Jaya, Ipoh, Kuantan and Penang)
26. Open University of Malaysia (campuses in Selangor, Bangi, Kedah, Perlis, Penang, Perak, Negeri Sembilan, Malacca, Johor, Kalantan, Terengganu, Pahang, Sabah and Sarawak)
27. Paramount Technology College
28. PJ College of Art and Design
29. PTPL Group of Colleges (campuses in Selangor, Penang, Sabah, Sarawak, Kelantan, Negeri Sembilan, Sungai Petani and Terengganu)
30. Pusat Latihan Teknologi Tinggi (ADTEC) (campuses in Melaka, Shah Alam, Kuantan, Kota Bharu)
31. SAE Institute Malaysia
32. SEGI University (campuses in Kota Damansara, Subang Jaya, Penang, Sarawak, Kuala Lumpur and Seri Kambangan)
33. Stamford University College (campuses in Selangor and Melaka)
34. Sunway University (campuses in Sarawak, Selangor, Perak and Johor)
35. The One Academy (campuses in Selangor and Penang)
36. The Otomotif College
37. The University of Nottingham Malaysia campus (training center in Kuala Lumpur)
38. Taylor’s University (campuses in Penang, Pahang, Sabah, Sarawak, Johor and Selangor)
39. Universiti Kabangsaan Malaysia
40. Universiti Kuala Lumpur (campuses in Selangor, Johor, Kedah, Malacca and Perak)
41. Universiti Kuala Lumpur Malaysian Institute of Marine Engineering Technology and Royal College of Medicine (campuses in Kuala Lumpur, Selangor, Malacca, Perak, Kedah and Johor)
42. Universiti Putra Malaysia
43. Universiti Selangor (UNISEL)
44. Universiti Teknologi MARA (UiTM)
45. Universiti Tunku Abdul Rahman (UTAR) (campuses in Selangor and Perak)
46. University Tenaga Nasional (UNITEN) (campuses in Selangor and Pahang)
47. Vision College
48. Westminster International College
49. Wawasan Open University (campuses in Penang, Perak, Johor, Kuala Lumpur, Selangor, Kelantan and Kuching)
If you are interested in gaining admissions into any of these universities and colleges, take advantage of our free service.
Selangor State Administrative structure
Selangor state is divided into nine districts namely Gombak, Klang, Petalling, Shah Alam, Kuala Langat, Kuala Selangor, Sabak Bernam, Sepang, Ulu Langat and Ulu Selangor.
The constitutional head of the state is the Sultan of Selangor. The Sultan administers Selangor by coordinating the activities of the Executive Council.
The Chief Minister, appointed by the Sultan, oversees the activities of the Executive Council and other council members who are drawn from the state assembly.
The Executive council oversees state projects and works with other ministries and specialized government agencies in executing their mandate.
These ministries function by carrying out activities such as promoting tourism, improving infrastructure, town planning, housing and beautification of the state.
The districts have a district office that provides oversight at the district level. Local authorities exist to oversee activities at the community level.
The State Assembly concerns with legislations, policies and other activities relevant to the functioning of the state (Selangor State Government 2011).
Selangor tertiary institutions are regulated by the Malaysian Department of Higher Education that ensures the institutions benchmark to internationally acceptable education service standards.
Department of Statistics 2011, Basic population characteristics by administration districts, Department of statistics, Malaysia.
Selangor State Government 2011, Government, Selangor State Government, Malaysia.
Tourism Selangor 2010, About Selangor, Tourism Selangor, Malaysia.
Have you made up your mind on your favorite institutions? Begin the admission process here.