Before listing Terengganu tertiary institutions, consider an overview of the state.
Terengganu is situated northeast of Peninsular Malaysia with its capital at Kuala Terengganu. The state is also known by its honorific description of ‘Darul Iman’ meaning ‘Abode of Faith’. It is not unusual to observe the state described as ‘Terengganu Darul Iman’.
Border States to Terengganu are Kelantan to the northwest, Pahang to the southwest, Laut China Selatan to east and other adjacent islands that belong to the state.
Terengganu has a population of a little over one million people within an area a little over thirteen thousand square kilometers (Department of Statistics Malaysia 2011, Terengganu State Government 2011).
In addition to its tourism, Terengganu tertiary institutions are listed below.
Tertiary institutions in Terengganu
1. Akademi Laut Malaysia (campuses in Terengganu and Melaka)
2. Cosmopoint International College of Technology (Selangor, Negeri Sembilan, Perak, Kedah, Pahang, Johor, Sabah, Kelantan, Melaka, Penang, Sarawak and Terengganu)
3. Institut Teknologi Petronas (INSTEP)
4. Kolej Teknologi Bestari
5. Open University of Malaysia (campuses in Selangor, Bangi, Kedah, Perlis, Penang, Perak, Negeri Sembilan, Malacca, Johor, Kalantan, Terengganu, Pahang, Sabah and Sarawak)
6. PTPL Group of Colleges (campuses in Selangor, Penang, Sabah, Sarawak, Kelantan, Negeri Sembilan, Sungai Petani and Terengganu)
7. UCSI University (campuses in Kuala Lumpur, Terengganu and Sarawak)
8. Universiti Malaysia Terengganu
9. Universiti Sultan Zainal Abidin (UniSZA)
If you are interested in gaining admissions into any of these universities and colleges, take advantage of our free service.
Terengganu State Administrative structure
Terengganu state is divided into seven districts namely Besut, Dungun, Kemaman, Kuala Terengganu, Marang, Setiu and Hulu Terengganu.
The constitutional head of the state is the Sultan of Terengganu. The Sultan administers Selangor by coordinating the activities of the Executive Council.
The Chief Minister, appointed by the Sultan, oversees the activities of the Executive Council and other council members who are drawn from the state assembly.
The Executive council oversees state projects and works with other ministries and specialized government agencies in executing their mandate.
These ministries function by carrying out activities such as promoting tourism, improving social works and infrastructure, town planning, housing and beautification of the state.
The districts have a district office that provides oversight at the district level. Local authorities exist to oversee activities at the community level.
The State Assembly concerns with legislations, policies and other activities relevant to the functioning of the state (Terengganu State Government 2011).
Terengganu tertiary institutions are regulated by the Malaysian Department of Higher Education that ensures education services are of industry standards.
Department of Statistics 2011, Basic population characteristics by administration districts, Department of statistics, Malaysia.
Terengganu State Government 2011, Government, Terengganu State Government, Malaysia.
Have you made up your mind on your favorite institutions? Begin the admission process here.